What to look for: kid with loose stools and failure to gain weight despite adequate diet, multiple episodes of pneumonia, failure to thrive, history of cystic fibrosis in family
Complete physical exam if patient is stable in the office.
- Height and weight lower than expected for his age
- Chest exam will show hyper-resonance and scattered crepitations bilaterally.
- CBC will show neutrophillic leukocytes
- Sweat chloride is elevated
- BMP will show low sodium and potassium
- CXR will show hyperinflation of lungs bilaterally
- Sinus X-Ray will show opacification
- Sputum gram statin is clear
- 72-hour fecal fat is elevated
- Sputum culture grew Staph aureus, sensitive to cephalexin